Hope you all are full of love and happiness in abundance… and then some! How are you? How are things? Let me know what’s good with ya! 🙂
So, let’s be honest! The ‘distressed’ look (clothes with holes, rips, and bleach as a starter) has been around forever. I know dear old Kanye West likes to think he is the inventor of all things but we know better! The idea of rocking worn out clothes or ones that look like they have been in a fight, with a bear, is not a new concept for real. That is the thing with ‘trends’ they just keep on coming back round and round! My 80’s babies know what I mean. If FAME (I wanna live forever) was life, then you had off the shoulder shirts and leggings with holes and the whole shebang. I love the revival of it all but I don’t love the extortionate prices some stores are charging to get the look. Why pay when you can do it yourself.
What is even better is that when you distress your own clothes you can:
- create your own unique pieces
- upstyle (see what I did there) some of those items in your wardrobe that have not seen the light of day for a while
- you DO NOT need to be a seamstress…I am no professional!
- save some money
This look is for anyone and there is no age limit on fashion as I say. I am not sure my Daddy would approve of me walking around with holes in my leggings! So raid your closet, your Daddy’s, Momma’s, Boyfriend, Girlfriend or WHOEVER! It is time to get totally distressed out! Below I have used 5 pieces from my wardrobe that I no longer wear. I have not taken the time to be neat or precise and have only used scissors or my hands! So let’s get ripping!!!!!
Sorry the colour is slightly off due to the lighting and flash.
Either fold in half or down the middle invisible seam line and then cut lines as wide as you want. I skipped the knee on one pair and only did my calf and thigh area and then went all the way down on the other! Simples!
The cold shoulder is the rage so just cut around the collar all the way to the back tag so you can have the choker effect which is also big in the game right now. Two looks in one! Boom! Boom! Shake! Shake the room!
You can also take an old hoodie and just cut the hood off for the ultimate nod to the 80’s style icons…think Flashdance (if you don’t know these movies…google them, please)!
Whether you want small detail or big in your face style, this is what you make it. Think about adding a gorgeous bralette that will peek through for added effect!
Beauty Holder Tips!
- Don’t try to be too precise with cutting lines. It is no fun that way and will drive you crazy.
- Take it up a notch and add lace, ribbons and bleach/ dye it up if you have the time
- Cut or rip where you want. You do not have to imitate anyone else. This is all about your style
- ROCK it with confidence and PRIDE. This is your handy work. You will probably get asked where did you get your top from and enjoy letting everyone know it is an original, darling!
- Now this is not going to be for everyone but it is fashion and therefore it is fun! Well to me it is!
Hope you enjoyed this post! I may make a video for my channel on how I jazz up some of my other pieces, so make sure you’re subscribed. There will be a new video this weekend so stay tuned. Link below!
Let me know what you think? Will you try any of these looks? Have you distressed your own pieces?