The first month of the new year is already coming to an end. It seems crazy typing that but time does indeed fly. It seems that it is opting for some sort of space speed travel, moving quickly from year to year!
I look back at 2015 as my year of growth. Personal, Spiritual and Professional. I learnt more about myself in that year than I have probably done in my whole life. I was forced to look within to find strength that I honestly didn’t know that I had. With the hard knocks came some of my highest points and achievements. I cried, laughed, screamed, shouted and went through every emotion. I stopped blaming myself for things I could not control and started to remember who I was and what I was worth.
I did not blog nearly as much last year as I have done in previous years and I accept that that was what I needed to grow. When you stop and truly take stock of what YOU have to offer yourself, your family, friends, loved ones, colleagues and even people who you may not know you start to understand YOUR purpose.
So in a snapshot…here is a look back on 2015! Year of the DMH!
Just a couple of points… (in no particular order)
- Key Make-Up Artist on music videos for Giggs, Lady Chan and Lady Lykes
- Part of Julia Carta’s (Simon Cowell’s Personal Makeup Artist and Makeup Designer for The X Factor) Make-Up Team for The X Factor 2015*
- Turned 40*
- Dislocated my knee and had an arthroscopy*
- Achieved my weight loss target losing more than 40kg
- Published Make-Up in Black Hair and Beauty and Pride
- Worked on a Road Show for Fabulous Magazine
- Spent the whole summer with my Son and family and friends in the US
- Took part in a fashion show for International Womens Day in Leeds
- Restarted my Natural Hair Journey*
- Had a little part in my Friend Nyomi’s show South Side Story
- Photoshoots and collabs with other creatives
- Key Make-Up Artist (assisted by Laura Garcia) for the Compliment Fashion Show
- Held several 1:1 Make-up Classes
- Worked with 4 Breathtaking Brides
There is so much more that happened last year that hasn’t been included above but not everything is for the blog! 😉
I will be doing some more in-depth posts on some of the key moments mentioned above. Those specifically with an * at the end. So look out for those in coming weeks.
My growth definitely doesn’t end there. With everything I learnt about myself, I now need to push forward and continue growing and evolving. It doesn’t stop there!
This post is dedicated to my sweet TJ Martin who we sadly lost in 2015. At 6 years old, TJ brought such joy and happiness to everyone he encountered. He had a diagnosis of CANDLE Syndrome which you can learn more about here. His younger Sister Tashana-Rae also has CANDLE syndrome. His Mom, Patricia Martin, is one of my dearest friends and along with her Husband, Norris, and older Sister Tyla have shown such strength. They continue to put themselves out there for others and are shining examples of courage and bravery and family. Not a day goes by that you are not missed Teej! We ❤ you always! P.s. I know you have probably taught everyone Gangnam Style in Heaven x
The family have set up a donation page in memory of TJ. All money raised will be donated to the charities who played a fundamental role in supporting TJ and the family. Someone Special TJ
Remembering always tomorrow is not promised!
What is 2016 going to be about for you?