So I have been cooking (ok- not exactly) up some of my homemade treatments again. This time for my hair! I have done a couple of posts on homemade goodies for your skin- check them out here!
I have been obsessing over YouTube videos on natural hair of late. It can be so easy to get caught up and run out and buy loads of products for your hair when you are starting out. That of course means spending unnecessary amounts of money on things you don’t even know will work for you. So I love the idea of using things that I have at home. I will go into more detail about my hair journey in my 3 month check-up later this week!
One of my favourite hair guru’s on YouTube is Naptural85. She posted a video on a deep conditioning treatment which I felt my hair needed. I added a little extra to mine as my hair was quite dry this week and as I have not done any kind of strengthening treatment since I had relaxed hair. The difference is that treatment at the salon costs approx £95. This one cost £0- Result! Hi-5 to myself! Woop! Woop!
I will post a link to Naptural85 video below. Here is what you will need!
- Eggs. I used 2 because of the length of my hair.
- Mayonnaise. 4 Tablespoons
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 1/4 cup
- Organic Honey- a gentle squeeze (lol)
The only thing I switched up was adding the EVOO! My hair loves the stuff and I try and incorporate it as much as possible.
Quick step by step of what I did! (with a couple of pics)
- Mix all of the above ingredients together until you get a smooth even consistency!
- Start wirh freshly washed hair.
- Section into manageable parts
- Apply the mixture to each section
- Put on a plastic cap for about 30 (using a dryer) 45 mins(without a dryer)
- You can sit under a hooded dryer or heated cap if you prefer
- Take off cap and rinse thoroughly
- I would advise taking extra care when you are rinsing as the treatment makes your hair a little stiff and so using a comb or anything along those lines is likely to pull and tug on your hair.
- Use your favourite conditioner to rinse and ensure all of the treatment has been washed out
- Proceed to styling your hair as normal!
Below is hair washed and sectioned then with the treatment applied
Hair rinsed out and styled in a wash and go
So why do this treatment?
- Great way to revive tired, dull, lifeless hair
- Strengthens damaged hair
- Provides shine and lustre
- Egg is a great source of protein for not only the body but also your hair.
I won’t bore you with all the science but at least let Naptural85 tell you more. She is an expert on this!
Does it really work?
Yes! Yes! and Yes! My hair was instantly revived and full of life. It looked healthy and was full of bounce and shine. Strands were definitely stronger too. To see how I styled my hair check out my last blog post.
So what do you think? Have you tried a treatment like this before? Would you? Let me know. I can’t wait to hear some of your hair treatments!
Hope you enjoyed this post!
Coming up next: Spring Lips!
Then: My 3 month hair check in!